Thursday, May 22, 2014

23 Mobile Things: Thing 6

Creating and Editing Documents

I really wanted to try SignNow. While not a frequent occurence, every once in a while it would be  most useful to have access to an electronic signature. But then I started to wonder about just how secure my signature would be. I'm pretty protective of my information, and decided I didn't want to take the risk of putting my signature in an app I doubted I'd use a lot. And while you can uninstall the app, I can't imagine that SignNow doesn't, somewhere in the depths of their data, keep a copy of it for a long time indeed.

I'm not quite sure of the audience for QuickOffice, the app I ended up trying. While I really like the ability to access documents in my GoogleDrive account, they're already accessible through (what a shock!) the GoogleDrive app. No need to duplicate that.

To my mind and fingers, creating files in QuickOffice is 1) too difficult on such a small screen and 2) too limited in the options available.

Too difficult - this would probably work far better on a tablet than a phone (can you tell I'm not a member of the generation that pretty much grew up texting?). But unless the tablet didn't have the software (and those I've seen pretty much do), why work with this version instead of the full one?

Too limited - yes, you can put together a passable document or presentation using this. And it would do in a pinch. But they're pale imitations of the full versions. Word only has about 6 fonts, and I couldn't figure out how to highlight words to change the font, or bold it or whatever. Again, probably far easier on a tablet. PowerPoint doesn't have any animations or transitions - at least that I saw. It had only one theme, too, without any color or graphics at all.  That made the little presentation I made very, very bland.

So maybe in a pinch - but I think I'll stick to my laptop or work computer for ease of creation and available options.

No comments:

Post a Comment