Thursday, May 8, 2014

23 Mobile Things: Thing 13

Presentations

I chose to try out Deck.  I can't say I was all that impressed.  It was reasonably easy to use, but it's so incredibly limited. As an example, there are only 3 free formats. That's not many. I designed a four slide show about different kinds of lava  - because I had pictures of several kinds already on my phone, making the selection process simple. It was easy enough to create the slide, but I noticed I often had to tap several times to get the text box for the slide to open. It should go with one. I'm not sure what it's called, but the programming that controls text entry needs a lot of work. It doesn't capitalize first letters in sentences. It doesn't work with the feature on my device that lets me run my finger over consecutive letters to create words (I can't remember what that's called, but I use it constantly), so it doesn't make suggestions as you go along, either.

The actual slide show was cute. I liked the way fingers moved the sticky notes around, and then the pictures enlarged when you clicked on the next arrow. But it certainly lacks the versatility of PowerPoint. You can't choose transistions or animations, you can't change fonts - you're just stuck with what they come up with for formats. And it's just so much easier to work on a larger screen! It might be better on a tablet than a smartphone.

I'm going to do a program in June with teens using something called Instafeed. It's based off Instagram. Users tag photos with a custom hashtag, and Instafeed instantly (go figure...) puts them all in a slideshow. There's a bit of customization available, but for a teen photo scavenger hunt, the big thing is just for teens to be able to see all the pictures taken. I'm sure they can view the presentation on their phones, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment