Saturday, April 19, 2014

23 Mobile Things: Thing 8

Social Media Management Tools

I'm going to be honest here.  I am very deliberately choosing to not do this thing. I'm on Facebook, but no other social media site - on purpose.  Perhaps I should be on LinkedIn, but I'm not interested in Twitter or Foursquare and am not going to create a profile to finish this thing. Even if I were on another site, I wouldn't want one update to cross platforms. What I post on Facebook isn't relevant or necessarily advisable to post on LinkedIn. And I don't want to tell everyone where I am when I'm out and about. I work hard to maintain what I consider a reasonable level of privacy.

I enjoy Facebook and am certainly online enough because of work - and that's part of it. I want to use social media, not have it use me.  It's far too easy to spend hours and hours with this, and I just have too many other things to do! I haven't even installed the Facebook app on my smartphone - again on purpose. This way, when I sign in, it's deliberate, and not something I'm doing to pass the time and ignore what's going on around me. Truly, it's just not that important to get the latest cute cat picture right now instead of tonight at 9. There are times I've been disconnected from any social media for a week and not felt like I've missed anything important. So why add to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment